The objective of our courses is to develop comprehension and speaking skills. To reach this goal we organize the kids in small groups, and give the personal attention the child needs, according to age and level. Children will speak, read and write using traditional methods, but also will learn vocabulary and grammar by playing and moving, using the Total Physical Response approach. They will learn Italian traditions by creating artwork, singing songs, watching videos, and other activities. Children are properly stimulated in order to develop a positive attitude towards the learning of the Italian language. We offer:
- Pre-school Italian Immersion 2-3 yrs old, on Saturday, 9:45-10:45 am
- Pre-School Italian Immersion 4-6 yrs old, on Saturday, 11:00 am-12:30 pm
For kids 2-6 yrs old, we offer classes without distinction between kids who are exposed daily to Italian and kids new to the language. The younger the child, the easier it is to teach the language by speaking it, through games, songs, video and TPR. The classes are in Italian (with rare individual translation to the child who needs it to stay involved.)
Starting at a scholar age, we group the kids according to their level of Italian:
- Italian for Kids – Beginners 6-9 years old, Friday 4:30-6:00 pm
- Italian for Kids – Elementary 10-13 years old, Friday 4:30-6:00 pm
- Italian for Kids – Intermediate 6-9 years old, Friday 4:30-6:00 pm
- Italian for Kids – Advanced 10-13 years old, Friday 4:30-6:00 pm
- Italian for Kids – Beginners 7-10 years old, Saturday 1:45-3:15 pm
- Italian for Kids – Elementary 11-13 years old, Saturday 1:45-3:15 pm
- Italian for Kids – Advanced 8-12 years old, Saturday 3:30-5:00 pm
Children are introduced to the target language from the start of the Beginners level. The Elementary level is for kids who already attended a Beginners course, or have been exposed to some Italian but need to develop comprehension and speaking skills.
Intermediate level classes are held in Italian (with individual translation to the child who needs it to stay involved), and are designed for children who are exposed to some Italian, they fully or partially understand, and need to improve their communications skills. The Intermediate/Advanced level 8-13 years old will work on grammar and fun reading, exploring at a deeper level cultural aspects like Italian Geography, History, Mythology. The focus of our classes remains communication. These readings will be a source of discussion and an important way to enrich their vocabulary. Conversation about everyday life, vacation, holidays, traditions are part of the class. Working on grammar structures will allow them to learn to speak correctly.
(For Italian native speakers/bilingual children, we recommend the Corsi Integrativi which follow the program of the Italian public school system. These courses are organized by the Ente Gestore – Casa Italiana.)
At the Festa di Natale (Christmas party) kids will perform singing Italian songs, and will enjoy kids activities. Learn more….
At the Festa di Carnevale (Costume party), they will be engaged in a recital in front of the public, and will enjoy a themed workshop. Learn more…
- Corsi per Middle school e High School Students, Friday at 4:30-6:00
Teenagers will be engaged in discovering Italian Culture while learning the language with their peers, through various interactive methods. Teenagers are also welcome to attend any of the adult classes. Please look at our Schedule, or contact us.
Starting at age 10, kids can also attend online classes from home.
You can register online by clicking on the (underlined) course, or send/bring a check, after contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All the instructors are native speakers and trained to teach Italian as a second language.
At the end of the year, the students will receive a certificate of attendance.
The course: 10 weeks per term, 2 hours or 90 minute classes.
– For the school year (by September 16th), for Family Member * benefiting from a discounted rate on the tuition fee for members, only by check, with 3 checks dated 9/15/2017, 1/2/2018, and 4/1/2018.
Checks should be payable to the Italian Language Program. Prices are on the Tuition and registration form.
*With the ICS Family membership:
- you are welcome to the Kids movie in Italian, at the ICS Monthly Social Meeting, on the third Sunday of each month
- you can borrow books and DVDs from our Italian library
- you will benefit from a discounted rate for courses, summer camps and for the Arts & Crafts Themed Workshops for kids in Italian
For information regarding the Italian Language Program, send an email to: email@example.com
or call: (301) 215-7885.